Becoming A Mrs.

21 Aug

Katie, One of MWW’s Fabulous Interns!

Hi, Everyone!  My name is Katie and I am Meagan’s summer intern!  I have had such a blast this summer and I can’t even begin to say how much I have enjoyed working with Meagan!  I’m here today to guest blog about something that seems like it should be self-explanatory but is actually quite complicated!  Changing your name once you are married!

I naively thought it was something like “Sign here to change your name” and everything magically happened after that, but it’s not that easy!  Here is a summary of what I have learned from a great resource on weddings,

The first thing to remember is that there is some work to do before you are actually married.  When planning the honeymoon, make the reservations in your maiden name.  You may need to provide identification while checking in and whatnot and your new identification will not be ready yet!  Another pre-wedding task is changing your work contact information.  You may need to work with your HR representative to change your work e-mail, business cards, and any information on you that is found on a company website.

Next, is all of the official business.  You will first need to apply for a new Social Security card.  You can download the form at the social security website found here (  Once you fill out the form, just bring it to your local Social Security Administration Office. The closest one in downtown Columbia is located at 1835 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC.

After you have your new Social Security card, you can apply for a new license and vehicle registration.  Bring your marriage license, new Social Security card and your current driver’s license to the DMV with you.  There is a charge to change both your vehicle registration and license so have some form of payment on hand as well.

Next are some less-pressing issues but some that are still VERY important!

~ You are going to want to head back to HR and get your tax forms updated with your new Social Security card and driver’s license.  You will also want to fill out IRS form 8822, which pertains to changing your address and name on your tax return. Here is the link to find that form here (

~ If you already have a passport (perhaps you went somewhere exotic for your honeymoon?!) you are going to have to contact the Department of State to get that updated as well.  There are lots of special cases that involve a passport change so to ensure that you choose the right route, here is a link that gets you on the right track. (

~ Your voter registration card will need to be updated as well, this may vary state-to-state but for you South Carolina brides, here is your link:

~ Lastly, you will need to inform all organizations that you are a part of that your identification has been updated.  This can be done with a letter stating your old information, new information and a copy of your marriage license.  Some organizations you may want to consider are creditors, doctors, insurance companies, lawyers, and any organizations that you hold membership in.

And with all of that information, you are now ready to be a new woman (or the same woman with a new name!)  I hope this helped!  I know I learned a lot for the day my wedding Pinterest board becomes a reality!  Happy planning!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: